The governing body has the following core strategic functions:
Establishing the strategic direction, by:
• setting the vision, values, and objectives for the school
• agreeing the school improvement strategy with priorities and targets
• meeting statutory duties.
Ensuring accountability, by:
• appointing the headteacher and holding the senior leaders to account
• monitoring the educational performance of the school and progress towards agreed targets
• performance managing the headteacher
• engaging with stakeholders
• contributing to school self-evaluation.
Ensuring financial probity, by:
• setting the budget
• monitoring spending against the budget
• ensuring money is well spent and value for money is obtained
• ensuring risks to the organisation are managed.